Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, & Negril

Early Monday morning I got in the UWI bus along with my host, Ms. Jackson, my supervisor, Ms. Bishop, and our bus driver, Mr. Wright. We headed to Ocho Rios first to hit the falls again! I loved it so much the first time, so the second time was like a nice treat! We then went to a great restaurant for lunch, Scotchys. This is a hidden gem that serves mostly jerk flavored meats- grilled on big open coals. Although I didn't eat any of the meat, I was able to get my favorite, bread fruit, and some great corn! The corn here is different- it is tough and crunchy. It puts sweet corn to shame! YUM!

On our way north we stopped at a secret place- "The Fountain of Youth." Well wouldnt you know it was this spring that locals have made into a big ordeal. Well I got in the spring- because I want to stay young forever- and got cleansed. I guess we will see in a few years if it really worked!

We went to MoBay and checked into the UWI- West Campus residence hall. It overlooks the ocean and is located on the Hip Strip- "the place to be" in Montego Bay. It was lovely. We left for Negril in the Morning to see the beautiful beaches and Rick's Cafe. This restaurant is known as one of the top 10 bars in the whole world! I can see why!! There are cliffs that the bar surrounds and people dive off of them! It is also the tip top most part of Jamaica which allows for a beautiful sunset over the ocean. It was truly a beautiful place- one that I must take my best girl friends back to as soon as possible!! I have attached a picture of a man diving from high above the water.

We went back to MoBay for the evening and slept in the next morning. On our way to Kingston we stopped at Green Grotto Caves. This was awesome! The cave was at one point where slaves escaped and in the 1970's where people partied! It was nice and cool underground. There were plenty of bats and snakes- so I just hurried through it. It was quite a site though, seeing the rocks and deep water holes.

My night finished out with a nice dinner out with the 4 people that have assisted me here at UWI - Dr. Reynolds, Ms. Bishop, Mr. Myers, and Ms. Jackson. I shared gifts from Pennsylvania with them and we talked about PA and the history. It made me really proud to be from PA and even more eager to get back home tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment